Tuesday, May 3, 2016

POETRY BY KIDS

SOFT HAY WILL CATCH YOU

Photo Retrieved from Amazon.com
A. BIBLIOGRAPHY

Compiled by Lyne, Sandford. SOFT HAY WILL CATCH YOU: POEMS BY YOUNG PEOPLE. Ill. by Julie Monks. Simon and Schuster: New York, NY, 2004. ISBN  978-0689834608

B. REVIEW AND CRITICAL ANALYSIS

In this anthology collected by Sandford Lyne, young writers fro eight to eighteen share their thoughts on life, loneliness, and family.  It is the result of spending his time working with students and teaching them the art of writing and poetry. This compilation of one hundred poems is set up in six sections by theme, such as "The Inward Fire", "My Fire Casts Shadows", and "Smoke and Embers."  The poems are short, and demonstrate features such as imagery and free verse writing.  This collection touches on many emotions, and is a great book to share with readers of all ages.  The work done in this collection reminds us that poetry is for everyone, and everyone has the potential to write beautiful and resonating poems.  With just a few words and lines, these children share the infinite emotional interconnections we share as human beings.  From losing a pet to leaving one's home country, there is a poem in this book for everyone.

This collection includes a table of contents, and an index of the poets featured in the book. The illustrations by Julie Monks are featured delicately among the pages, and compliment the poetry nicely.

C. HIGHLIGHT POEM AND POETRY BREAK

For Social Studies, when discussing Economics, such as work and earning money, present this poem to the class.

All Work No Play

I've worked all day
and now my body is full of hurt.
My father says you have to work
to make a living.
Now as the sun goes down
I think about today.
He didn't make me work
so I would be mad.
He made me work so I could make
more out of my life.
That's why I got to drive the tractor.
That's why I got to hammer the nails.
And now as I settle down for bed
I pray for my father.

After reading this poem, discuss thoughts about work.  Ask these questions:

  • Why do our parents make us do chores?
  • Should they let us learn how to work once we are old enough?
  • What is the value in helping our parents?
  • Why did he pray for his father?



No comments:

Post a Comment